Can Green Card Holder Apply For Parents?

Can Green Card Holder Apply For Parents
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Last Updated on April 29, 2023 by

Yes, green card holders can apply for their parents to come to the United States. The process is called “sponsoring,” and it involves the green card holder filing an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If the petition is approved, then the parent will be able to immigrate to America as a lawful permanent resident.

However, there are some limitations on who can be sponsored by a green card holder. In general, only one of each type of parent (mother or father) may be sponsored at a time; additionally, any siblings must also go through their own application processes separately from that of their parent(s).

Yes, green card holders can apply for their parents to be able to come and live in the United States. The process of applying for a parent’s green card involves filing Form I-130, Petition For Alien Relative with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This form requires that the applicant provide evidence of his or her relationship to the parent seeking a green card as well as proof of one’s legal status in the country.

After approval from USCIS, an immigrant visa number is then assigned and sent to the National Visa Center which will notify both parties when it is ready for processing at a U.S embassy or consulate abroad.

Can a Green Card Holder Petition For a Child or Parent?

How Long Does It Take for a Green Card Holder to Sponsor a Parents?

Exact Answer: It typically takes between 10 and 13 months for a green card holder (permanent resident) to sponsor their parents for a family-based visa.Blog Post Paragraph: For those individuals with permanent residency status in the United States, sponsoring their parents can be an incredibly heartwarming experience. The process is relatively straightforward, but depending on the specifics of your location and case it can take anywhere from 10 to 13 months for approval.

That being said, if you are able to prove that your parent or parents are elderly or have medical conditions that require special attention then there may be expedited options available which could help speed up the process. Ultimately though, having patience throughout this process is key as you wait and hope that your sponsorship will soon be approved!

Can I Sponsor My Parents Green Card Already in the Us?

Yes, you can sponsor your parents’ green card if they are already in the US. This is done through a process called family-based immigration. In order to sponsor a parent for a green card, you must be either a United States citizen or permanent resident who is 21 years of age or older.

You will need to fill out an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and submit it with supporting documents that prove your status as well as your relationship with the applicant. Additionally, you must provide proof of income that meets certain requirements set by the USCIS so that you can demonstrate the ability to support them financially during their stay in the US. Once all forms are completed and filed correctly, it may take several months before being approved for sponsorship and visa issuance.

Sponsoring someone for a green card can be complex but it is possible if done properly and within due diligence guidelines established by USCIS regulations.

Can I Sponsor My Mom And Dad for a Green Card?

Yes, you can sponsor your mom and dad for a green card. As the child of US citizens or a lawful permanent resident, you may be able to help your parents become legal residents of the United States through family-based immigration. The process is relatively straightforward but requires patience as it usually takes several years from start to finish.

You must first file an Immigrant Petition for Alien Relative (Form I-130) on behalf of each parent with USCIS, along with proof that you are related and evidence that proves they meet all eligibility requirements. Once approved by USCIS, the petition will be forwarded to the Department of State National Visa Center which will then notify them when their priority date is current so they can apply for a visa at their nearest US embassy/consulate abroad. After receiving their immigrant visas, they’ll need to enter the U.S., where an officer at Customs & Border Protection (CBP) will inspect them before allowing them admission into this country as Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs).

With perseverance and dedication throughout this process, sponsoring your parents for a green card should eventually bring them closer to becoming part of America’s vibrant culture – one step further towards achieving their dreams!

Can I Sponsor My Brother to Usa If I Have a Green Card?

Yes, you can sponsor your brother to the USA if you have a green card. As a green card holder, you are eligible to submit an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative form on behalf of your brother so he can obtain permanent residence in the US. The process takes some time and requires that both parties provide proof of their relationship.

Additionally, sponsoring brothers or sisters must prove they can financially support them by providing evidence of income or assets that meet certain standards established by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once approved, your brother will need to fill out additional paperwork and attend an interview with USCIS before being granted permanent residency status in the US. With careful preparation and diligence throughout this process, it is possible for those with green cards to sponsor their siblings’ journey into becoming citizens within our great country!

Can Green Card Holder Apply For Parents?


Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Family Member?

Yes, a Green Card Holder can sponsor a family member for permanent residence in the United States. Typically, the process involves filing an immigrant visa petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for an eligible family member to become a lawful permanent resident or “green card” holder. Eligible relatives include spouses, children, parents and siblings of the sponsoring green card holder.

Depending on each individual case, there may be additional requirements that must be met before USCIS approves the petition.

Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor Mother

Yes, a Green Card holder can sponsor their mother to become a permanent resident. In order to do so, the Green Card holder must file Form I-130 as well as other relevant forms with USCIS and show that they have sufficient income or assets to support their mother at 125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. Additionally, if the parent is outside of the U.S., then consular processing will be necessary for them to obtain an immigrant visa before entering the country.

Apply Green Card for Parents Processing Time

The processing time for a Green Card application for parents can vary depending on the visa category they are applying under. For immediate relatives, such as parents of U.S. citizens, there is no numerical limit or annual cap on the number of visas that may be issued and those applications generally take about six months to process. However, if your parent is applying through a different family-based preference category, the wait times can be much longer due to limited visa numbers in these categories each year.


In conclusion, Green Card holders can indeed apply for their parents to come and live with them in the United States. However, it is a long process that requires careful consideration of many different factors before submitting an application. It’s important to remember that even if you are granted permission for your parents to join you, they may still not be able to stay very long due to visa restrictions or other issues.

Additionally, parental sponsorship can affect your own immigration status so it is important to fully understand all of the implications before proceeding.