Can A Green Card Holder Sponsor Parents?

Can A Green Card Holder Sponsor Parents
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.

Last Updated on April 29, 2023 by

Yes, a Green Card holder (a lawful permanent resident) can sponsor their parents for U.S. green cards. This process is known as “family-based” immigration and requires the sponsoring child to file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative with the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The parent must also submit an application form along with supporting documents such as birth certificates, passports and proof of relationship between them and their sponsor to qualify for a visa that allows them to enter the United States.

Once approved, they may be eligible to apply for adjustment of status in order to become a permanent resident of the United States; however this depends on other factors such as availability or country quota allotment by USCIS .

Yes, a Green Card holder can sponsor their parents to become permanent residents of the United States. However, this process is one that should not be taken lightly as it requires time and paperwork in order to get approved. The parent must first obtain an immigrant visa from the U.S. Department of State before they are able to enter the country and eventually apply for their green card through USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

It’s important to note that while a Green Card holder can sponsor their parents, there may be additional fees associated with the application process which will vary depending on any number of factors so it’s best to consult an experienced immigration attorney for more information about sponsoring your parents for a green card.

Get a Green Card for Your Parents of US Citizens | Sponsor your Parents And Processing Time in 2022

How Long Does It Take for a Green Card Holder to Sponsor a Parents?

It typically takes 10-13 years for a green card holder to sponsor their parents. This is because the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has an established preference system that puts family members in certain categories based on their relationship to the sponsoring green card holder, and this will determine where they are listed in terms of priority when it comes time for them to receive their own immigrant visas. Additionally, each category has its own wait times as well depending on how many people from other countries have applied before them – meaning even if your parents are classified with a higher priority than others, it may still take some time due to backlogs at USCIS processing centers around the world.

While there’s no surefire way to speed up this process or guarantee a specific timeline, having accurate paperwork and all necessary documents prepared can help expedite things somewhat by ensuring everything is in order when the application reaches USCIS officials for review.

What Family Members Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor?

A green card holder can sponsor their spouse, unmarried children under the age of 21, and parents as immediate relatives. They may also be able to sponsor siblings and extended family members depending on certain requirements being met.Having a family member who is a green card holder can open up many pathways for immigrants to come to the United States.

For those with close ties to US citizens or lawful permanent residents (LPRs), applying for sponsorship through them often helps speed up the process compared to other immigration routes. As such, it’s important for potential applicants from abroad—as well as current LPRs—to understand what types of family members they are eligible to petition for. Fortunately, US immigration law provides generous options for sponsored parties, including spouses, unmarried children under 21 years old, and even parents in some cases!

For more distant relatives like siblings or extended family members however there are additional limitations that must be taken into consideration before filing an application. Ultimately understanding these details is key when navigating the American immigration system; after all if you don’t know what’s possible you won’t know how best to reach your desired destination!

How Long Does It Take for a U.S. Citizen to Sponsor Parents?

It typically takes 10 to 13 months for a U.S. citizen to sponsor their parents for permanent residence in the United States. The process is complex and requires several steps, including filing an I-130 petition with USCIS (U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services), gathering documentation, submitting financial information, attending interviews and medical exams, as well as waiting for background checks to be completed by both the sponsoring U.S. citizen and the foreign national parent(s). As such, it’s important that all parties take care when preparing paperwork and other documents throughout this lengthy process in order to ensure accuracy and avoid unnecessary delays or denials of visas or green cards due to errors or omissions on applications or petitions filed with the government agency responsible for adjudicating them.

Can A Green Card Holder Sponsor Parents?


Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Family Member?

Yes, a Green Card holder can sponsor a family member for immigration to the US. To be eligible to sponsor someone, the Green Card holder must either be a U.S. citizen or an immigrant with permanent residence status (also known as holding a “green card”). Sponsorship for family members is limited to spouses, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents if the sponsoring person is over 21 years of age.

Additionally, financial sponsorship requirements are necessary when sponsoring any family member in order to ensure that they will not become dependent on public assistance once they arrive in the United States.

Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor Siblings

Yes, a Green Card holder (i.e., a lawful permanent resident) can sponsor their siblings on the basis of family immigration. However, this process is long and complex as it involves filing an I-130 petition and other forms with USCIS. Additionally, there are only limited visa numbers available for siblings of U.S citizens or legal residents each year so wait times can be lengthy.

Ultimately though, if all requirements are met, it is possible for a Green Card holder to sponsor their siblings to immigrate to the United States.

Can a Green Card Holder Sponsor a Spouse

Yes, a Green Card holder is eligible to sponsor their spouse for permanent residence in the United States. This can be done through family-based immigration, where the U.S. citizen or permanent resident sponsors the non-citizen to immigrate to America and gain legal status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR). The sponsoring spouse must submit an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative form along with other required documents in order to apply for their spouse’s green card.

Once approved, they will receive authorization from USCIS allowing them to proceed with their application process, which may include visa interviews and medical exams depending on circumstances.


Overall, it is possible for a green card holder to sponsor their parents in the US. However, they must prove that they have sufficient financial means and the process can take years. The green card holder should also be aware of any potential risks associated with sponsoring their parents as well as any changes affecting this type of immigration.

With careful planning and attention to detail, however, a successful application can be made and both parent and child may benefit from the outcome.